Rural Child Care Innovation Program Fact Sheet
Fairmont’s Community Solution Action Plan is available to view here!
Did You Know?
(Based on information obtained from data collection from First Children’s Finance)
- A gap analysis has revealed that Martin County has a shortage of approximately 172 licensed full-time childcare slots
- Fairmont has a shortage of 72 licensed child care slots
MN & National Statistics:
- In 2017, Minnesota experienced a net loss of 537 (6.2%) family child care programs
- 87% of Minnesotans ages 20-44 are in the workforce in the past 12 months
- Minnesota childcare has an industry revenue of $883.2 million, with $900 million impacting local economies
- Childcare providers in MN have been in business an average of 12 years and most work alone (9% employ an assistant)
- Child care related issues represent 45% of employee absenteeism, which places a financial/operational burden on employers & a financial burden on families
- 65% of parents’ work schedules are affected by child care challenges
- Financial viability of child care businesses is often challenged by many factors
- In total, it’s estimated that businesses lose $3 billion annually because of child care issues
- Early childhood development is crucial, 90% of brain development happens within the first 5 years of life
- Childcare shortages are everywhere…this is a national issue that needs to be addressed on a local level
Due to these challenges, a Core Team from Fairmont has come together to develop solutions!